Making my annual trip to Patrick Warburton's Palm Desert golf charity do



I challenged once to learn the basics of golf for a story.

I took five lessons from an LPGA instructor to get ready for tournament play. In my first competition, a Grand Slam golf pro-am in Bermuda... (See lots of pix here.)

“I didn’t quite understand what I had gotten into and the experience just continued to get bigger and bigger…In the end, we actually won Best Pro-Am Team. I actually have a PGA trophy. And it’s the only athletic trophy I will win in my life!”

And of course, there is the time I almost made a hole-in-one playing with Bubba Freakin' Watson. Who, by the way, said "women are the worst liars..."

I'm still a beginner golfer, but I love hanging around the golfers and especially a charity event for St. Jude's Children Hospital.

I will be singing, playing golf and helping anyway I can at the Fifth Annual Patrick Warburton Celebrity Golf Tournament, March 5-8, in Palm Desert. This four-day charity event, spearheaded by actor Patrick Warburton and his wife, Cathy, benefits St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, the admired organization that helps treat and defeat childhood cancer and other deadly diseases.

“Music and golf go so well together and this is one of the largest and most successful fundraisers here in the desert (for St. Judes). “Patrick and Cathy are there the entire time, and show their heart and why they care. When I hear people talk about the cause or the fact that children will get care no matter what, I’m grateful to be a part of this event.”

More than 60 celebs will spend the weekend at a rock ‘n’ roll legends jam session on March 6, golf, as well as a March 7 dinner and dance soiree. I will be hosting the impressive “Songwriters Night …The story behind the Music Song” on March 5 featuring the likes of:

• Rivers Rutherford, “Living in Fast Forward”

• Kelley Lovelace, “All-American Girl”

• Comedian Mike Wilson

I also be sing with
• Alice Cooper

• Don Felder of The Eagles, Mike Mills of R.E.M.

• Dave Brock of The Doors/Wild child

Mu buddies Sixwire will play on Saturday

Additional personalities scheduled to appear include Richard Kind, Danny Masterson, Kevin Sorbo, Luke Perry, William Devane, Scott Wolf, Oliver Hudson, Sterling Sharp, and Rob Morrow to name a few.

St. Jude is important to me personally, because in my early 20’s when I came face-to-face with a family struggling with their child’s leukemia diagnosis.
“I was asked, as a public figure, if I would I help their fundraising efforts by performing at a carnival weekend the family was holding. I gladly helped out.... I also thought how humbling it must have been for them to ‘ask’ for such money. Understandably, they would surely have preferred to focus on getting their child better instead of how much money it would cost. Thanks to St Jude, and people like Patrick and Cathy Warburton (and all the Palm Springs area folks who turn out to support the golf weekend) fewer families will have to endure the side worry about medical costs....as they face their most important challenge: getting their child well.”

http://patrickwarburtongolf.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment